Pooped...
Well...I was really glad to know I would be busy with this new thing they're having me do at work, but I didn't know how busy I would be these last two days...
Yesterday everything had been going pretty uneventful until a thunderstorm rolled into our area. Around 2:15ish in the afternoon we heard a BIG CRASH of lightning, shortly after followed the lightning and a second later the fire alarms started going off. Lightning had struck close behind our building and ran in somewhere. It not only set off the fire alarms, but it partially killed a couple networking switches...fried some network cards in our desktop and thin client PCs...messed up our internet connection for awhile...and other things that we were discovering throughout the day today also. The lightning must have primarily hit around the west end of the building, since that's where it took out the most thin clients and desktop PCs, but our server/dialer room took a good hit too since that's where several problems were stemming from. Someone said they heard a loud pop from the server room and there was a bright flash in our training room...and the poor cleaning lady was sitting in her car when it hit and she said it lit up the entire building.
Needless to say I spend most of the afternoon and some of this morning helping troubleshoot and swap out equipment. After my day was over, I could definitely tell I had worked hard today. I may not have done much of what I typically do, but I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off doing everything else.
I'm hoping by Monday everything is mostly resolved and back to running 100%. Someone from the main office was making a trip this afternoon or tomorrow morning to replace damaged switches, take our de-funked computers and leave us with some replacements. This is the second bout with lightning in a couple month's time, so our supply of replacements was starting to run thin.
They say lightning doesn't strike the same place twice...we can vouch that it's not true! With any luck, after everything is replaced and fully functioning, we won't have to worry about this for awhile!
Yesterday everything had been going pretty uneventful until a thunderstorm rolled into our area. Around 2:15ish in the afternoon we heard a BIG CRASH of lightning, shortly after followed the lightning and a second later the fire alarms started going off. Lightning had struck close behind our building and ran in somewhere. It not only set off the fire alarms, but it partially killed a couple networking switches...fried some network cards in our desktop and thin client PCs...messed up our internet connection for awhile...and other things that we were discovering throughout the day today also. The lightning must have primarily hit around the west end of the building, since that's where it took out the most thin clients and desktop PCs, but our server/dialer room took a good hit too since that's where several problems were stemming from. Someone said they heard a loud pop from the server room and there was a bright flash in our training room...and the poor cleaning lady was sitting in her car when it hit and she said it lit up the entire building.
Needless to say I spend most of the afternoon and some of this morning helping troubleshoot and swap out equipment. After my day was over, I could definitely tell I had worked hard today. I may not have done much of what I typically do, but I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off doing everything else.
I'm hoping by Monday everything is mostly resolved and back to running 100%. Someone from the main office was making a trip this afternoon or tomorrow morning to replace damaged switches, take our de-funked computers and leave us with some replacements. This is the second bout with lightning in a couple month's time, so our supply of replacements was starting to run thin.
They say lightning doesn't strike the same place twice...we can vouch that it's not true! With any luck, after everything is replaced and fully functioning, we won't have to worry about this for awhile!

Comments
Post a Comment